When I meet with couples, they often ask “Should we have engagement photos taken?” My answer is always a YES! I think engagement sessions are a must. Here are 5 reasons why I think every couple should have engagement photos taken prior to their wedding.
1. GET COMFORTABLE IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA : Unless you are a model, celebrity or musician, you likely haven’t been in front of a professional camera since your high school senior photos. It can be totally nerve-racking, hello HUGE camera and equally HUGE camera lens. I was extremely nervous (despite being around cameras all the time) when my friend photographed my business headshots for me but 15 minutes into the session, I relaxed … and it was FUN! An engagement sessions allows both you and your love time to get used to the camera. You get to practice posing, cuddling and kissing – all while still ensuring you have “skinny” arms. ;) Come the wedding day, you are complete naturals and completely confident.
2. DOCUMENT THIS SPECIAL TIME IN YOUR LIVES : You are in love with your best friend. You are planning a wedding and your future together. It is beyond exciting and such a huge experience in your lives, but one that will go by so fast in between the decisions of cake flavors and bridesmaids dresses. I believe big moments should be preserved and being engaged is one of those experiences. You may want to use the photos of you two to decorate your future home or use them for save-the-dates. Either way, setting aside a couple hours amidst the stress of planning to be together and document your love is so special and important.
3. BECOME FRIENDS WITH YOUR PHOTOGRAPHER : Engagement sessions give you a chance to get to know your photographer even better. You may have already met with him or her before booking, but your engagement session is another time to learn more about your photographer – as a persoan. I love that I have time with my couples alone before the wedding. It gives me a chance to learn how they met, what they are most excited about for their wedding, what they love to do in their free time, and their favorite restaurants / movies / vacations, etc. And as we create beautiful photos, they learn about me – what things I adore, my favorite travel destinations and how I love grilled cheese. I like to think (and hope!) we become friends, so come the wedding day, I’m walking in as someone you know and love.
4. LEARN YOUR PHOTOGRAPHER’S STYLE : You fell in love with your photographer’s work online, but how does he/she create those images. During your engagement session, you learn what your photographer expects of you during your photo session. My couples learn all my crazy names for certain poses (hello, I-missed-you-so-much-slow-motion-kiss-in-the-pouring-rain kiss), why I ask them to walk a certain way, and how I expect them to react when I give them unique directions. Some of my requests can sound a little strange at first but come the wedding day, my clients 100% trust me because they have already experienced working with me.
5. FALL IN LOVE WITH EACH OTHER AGAIN : My number one goal of every engagement session is for my clients to have fun and walk away a little more in love. Sure, I want to create some beautiful photos too, but I want the experience to be romantic and memorable. Engagement sessions are a great way to step away from your wedding to-do list (and all the stress that comes with that) and remind each other how much you adore each other. Between the hugging, kissing and whispering of sweet nothings in each other’s ears, I hope you will leave your session completely smitten and even more excited to spend your lives together.
If you were unsure about scheduling an engagement session, I hope this post inspires you to book a session with your wedding photographer. I adore photographing engagement sessions for all of the above reasons and more! I love them so much, I include a complimentary session in all my wedding collections, so all of my clients get to experience it.
To view even more of my engagement photos of my fabulous couples – Go Here!