I’ll never forget how freakin’ nervous I was the day of our engagement session. Despite photographing over 200 couples over the years, I was stressing about our own engagement session.
Are the curls in my hair going to hold? Is it is going to rain? Will my lipstick stay on? Will Clifton, our furbaby, cooperate? Is Phil going to kill me for making him do this?
I was thinking all the things …. and I have a sneaky suspicion you might be too.
If so, take a deep breath, and read through my favorite tips for the best engagement photos … ever. :)
1. Check out past engagement sessions from your photographer so you and your main squeeze know what to expect and you can discover what location(s) make your hearts swoon. This is the first time you will be in front of the camera, so you will feel so much better if you have an idea of what is to come.
2. Schedule your hair and makeup trial for your engagement session or treat yourself to having it professionally done. You will feel extra gorgeous, and you will be able to see how your makeup will photograph for your wedding day. And it is one less thing you have to worry about when you are getting ready. :)
3. Clean your ring and paint your nails for any close-ups. Let’s show off your sparkler, boo!
4. Eat a snack before your shoot so you don’t get hangry (which might be me when I don’t eat). More often than not, we are shooting during dinner time, so grab something light before your shoot to keep your stomach from grumbling.
5. Be on time. Because we are natural light photographers, the sun limits how long we can shoot for so please plan for any traffic delays or time needed to park so that we get as much time with you in front of the camera as possible.
6. Remind your guy to stash any keys or cell phones in your bag so his pockets are empty for photos when you arrive. There is nothing worse than getting your photos back and seeing his iPhone plus in his suit pocket in every.single.photo.
7. Bring comfortable shoes for walking in between locations so you don’t
have to rock your amazing heels the entire time. Your feet will thank you!
8. Give us the vibe + feelings you want in your photos. Are you loving romantic photos? Then love on each other as much as possible. Feeling more fun and silly? Keep each other laughing! Your photographer will try to get these emotions from you, but you two know each other best …. so just ham it up for the camera.
9. Have fun! You will only be engaged for a short time, and you will only do this once so enjoy this experience. Stop worrying about if your hair looks perfect and instead just love on each other, laugh and have fun.
10. Make a date out of your engagement session and have dinner + drinks after your shoot. You are already dressed to the nines, so go celebrate! Make a reservation at a restaurant you have been dying to check out, and spend the night just enjoying each other’s company.
Wondering where the heck you should take your engagement photos? Check out the 7 locations in Chicago with the best skyline backgrounds and my 11 favorite locations in the Chicago suburbs for engagement photos.
Want to schedule an engagement session or chat more about working together? Click here to fill out my contact form or email the studio at email@example.com.