Growing up, did you ever have one of those notebooks filled with questions that you passed around to all your friends? I did. It was a Saniro Keroppi frog notebook, and I would pack it in my backpack and pass it off to all my friends to fill out during class. I remember getting it back at the end of the day full of stickers and different color pen marks highlighting their favorite song, what they wanted to be when they grew up, who their movie star crush was.
I thought it was so cool. Like really cool. I officially knew everything about all my friends and it was all in one precious notebook. Maybe I just liked the idea of seeing different answers to the same questions or how I could learn about each person through a combination of random questions. Either way, I thought it was cool, and I still do. So in honor of Keroppi (who was totally the coolest of the bunch), I’m answering 20 random questions.
1. What is the best gift you have ever received? When I was in high school, my parents bought me a Nikon film camera for Christmas. I was just starting to get into photography, and I LOVED that camera. I still use it when I shoot film. Years later, Phil surprised me with my first “real” lens – my 24-70mm f2.8. It was this gift that pushed me to start my business and live this life.
2. What is the best advice your mom gave to you? Always be nice to everyone you meet. You never know when your paths might cross again.
3. What is on your kitchen counter? A soda stream and a bowl of bananas … always.
4. Have you ever been a member of a club? Lots, but I totally started my own Ghostwriters Club complete with meetings, cool pens, and hip notebooks.
5. What is on your feet right now? Sand. Jealous?
6. What splurge is well worth it? Travel. I have never returned from a trip and wished I wouldn’t have gone.
7. Do you have any pet peeves? People who don’t write thank you cards. I blame my mom for years of writing them as a kid, but a handwritten note goes such a long way.
8. What is one thing you wish you’d known when you were younger? That everything usually works out how it is supposed to.
9. What is on your perennial to-do list? Printing my personal photos.
10. What are the last three items on your credit card statement? Our South African safari, a sushi dinner and a dress from Nordstrom.
11. What item in your closet do you wear the most? My black leather motorcycle jacket from Florence. It was such a splurge, but it is my favorite piece I own because it fits like a glove.
12. What quote do you live by? “What’s meant to be always finds a way.”
13. What app do you use the most often? Instagram + VSCO
14. What kind of sickness have you lied about so you didn’t have to go to work? When I worked in corporate America, I once told a boss I had pink eye so I could go to an interview. I totally rubbed my eyes for 30 minutes before going back to the office. Geeze …. I mean who does that?!
15. What is your perfect pizza? It is loaded with cheese and lots and lots of vegetables
16. If you could be any age for a week, what age would you be? 75 – I think when you are in your 70’s you have a pretty good idea about life, what is important, and you know a ton of life lessons. I’d be nice to have some of that insight for a week.
17. What is your favorite city? In the U.S., I love San Fran. Internationally, it would have to be Cape Town.
18. Have you ever been stung by a bee? Yes. Twice. Once a bee was caught in my hair and it stung the corner of my eye (let me tell you, it wasn’t a good look for me … or anyone for that matter), and another time a bee stung my hand during a photo shoot. I was a little freaked out about it, but I kept my cool until the shoot ended and then I called my mom … and panicked.
19. Are you afraid of heights? Yes, yes, yes. I am pretty much terrified (with a capital T) of heights, but if you put a camera in my hand, you can push me a little.
20. Do you collect anything? Vintage cameras, jewelry from every country I travel to and postcards and ornaments from our trips.
Have a question you would like to know? Leave it in the comments, and I’ll answer it on the next edition. Or share a little about yourself in the comments below. I’d love to get to know you better.
PHOTO CREDIT // cassandra photo